Are you an experienced cook, looking for a part-time work in a busy but fun kitchen? You're game. Get in touch.
Job opportunity: Part-time (18 hrs) chef to join a small, busy and fun kitchen of a catering company specialising in Eastern-European food.
You can be either college or on the job trained, but must have worked in busy kitchens before. Depending on your experience, you will either:
Run our kitchen and manage 1-2 other cooks.
Work alongside our existing cooks, under supervision.
Location: North Acton NW10
Hours: Thursdays and Fridays currently. 9.00 – 18.00 (paid lunch break). Sometimes evening work and/or weekends in addition. There’s some flexibility with the hours.
Start date: asap. Paid trial date.
About us: We are a small, women-led, London based catering company specialising in natural and elegant food from Eastern-Europe. Think Ottolenghi with an Eastern-European flair! We cater for events, deliver chilled food once a week and about to take over a community café in the woods in Highgate.
What we offer:
- £13-16 per hour, depending on experience, on a freelance basis for the first three months (the exact trial period to be agreed).
- After the initial period a permanent contract 27-30K a year pro-rata, incl 25 holiday days a year.
- A warm, encouraging, positive working environment. We eat good food at work and play fun music!
- Opportunity to input into menu creation and suggest ways for developing our offer.
- Experience of working as part of a team in a busy kitchen (either you’ve worked as a freelance chef or cooked in a café or a catering company in the past).
- Fast, confident and calm, with an ability to operate calmly under pressure.
- Knowledge of food kitchen regulations.
- Ability to read recipes, to adjust them for flavour and to scale them up.
- Knowledge of batch cooking and storing/freezing.
- Ability to speak and understand English, at least at an intermediate level.
- Love of food and really good taste buds.
- At least a level 2 Food Hygiene, and ideally level 3.
- Experience in managing staff. Are you someone who enjoys creating and sustaining a hard-working but fun atmosphere in the kitchen? You’re in.
- Workable knowledge of Excel (to write/update recipes).
- Experience working with dough and pastry.
- Interest and knowledge of fermentation.
- Experience of cooking Eastern-European food, in particular Russian, Ukrainian, Georgian.
- Knowledge of Russian language.
Type of work: We cook a variety of dishes each day, so the work is varied. We will provide training. As we are a small team, we all do washing up and cleaning of the kitchen, so be prepared to get stuck in.
Our story: we were founded in 2012 by two women, initially as a hobby project with a mission to bring the flavours of our home-lands to London. Katya is from Estonia of Russian-Ukrainian heritage, Karina is from Moscow with Georgian roots. We are passionate about the provenance of ingredients. Over the last 10 years we have created immersive dining experiences for the likes of V&A, Royal Academy of Arts and A Curious Invitation.
Since 2019 we have focused on catering for events and in March 2020 created an online shop to deliver boxes of chilled food to people’s doors once a week.
This year we are taking over an established community cafe in North London. The cafe is an incredible, soulful place in the woods, much loved by the community, which we’d like to grow and develop.
Email your CV with a paragraph explaining why you think you're suitable for the role to Katya. Any questions, call 0776 99 42 887.